Saturday, November 28, 2009

Peer-Pleaser or God-Pleaser?



19-21What actually took place is this: I tried keeping rules and working my head off to please God, and it didn't work. So I quit being a "law man" so that I could be God's man. Christ's life showed me how, and enabled me to do it. I identified myself completely with him. Indeed, I have been crucified with Christ. My ego is no longer central. It is no longer important that I appear righteous before you or have your good opinion, and I am no longer driven to impress God. Christ lives in me. The life you see me living is not "mine," but it is lived by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I am not going to go back on that.

Is it not clear to you that to go back to that old rule-keeping, peer-pleasing religion would be an abandonment of everything personal and free in my relationship with God? I refuse to do that, to repudiate God's grace. If a living relationship with God could come by rule-keeping, then Christ died unnecessarily.

Galatians 2:19-21 (The Message)

19For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. 20I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 21I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!"

Galatians 2:19-21 (NIV)

I was talking to Lisa Myers the other day and she told me that this Bible verse from "The Message" translation "blew her mind". So I checked it out. I've also put the NIV translation up, because I found that it was a verse I've read and heard quoted before. The Message translation made me look at it in a new light, and I thought that was awesome.

I found this part especially pointed: "Is it not clear to you that to go back to that old rule-keeping, peer-pleasing religion would be an abandonment of everything personal and free in my relationship with God?" How easy is it to try to adopt what we believe to please our peers. It is so "in" these days to accommodate everyone else's point of view on religion and try not to offend them. It seems like the right thing to do. If we are accepting of their beliefs, then we're loving them, right? Well maybe.

Then again, maybe not.

This verse talks about us having a relationship with God, and living out our lives through that relationship. If we are instead trying to live our lives to please our peers and trying to build a relationship with God based on that, we are not on a firm foundation. I think it's important to note though, that Paul never promises this is an easy task. It takes work to have a relationship with God - just like any other relationship. It's a much more rewarding one to have however because God never bails on you and He's always ready to take you back no matter how many times you bail on Him.

http://kairosverse.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment