Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Being Faithful to Friends


A despairing man should have the devotion of his friends,
even though he forsakes the fear of the Almighty.

Job 6:14 (NIV)

Today's verse goes with yesterday's. I found it last week when I was going through the Bible looking for verses about the word "despair". We often talk about how the old testament and new testament are both part of the Bible - and yet as Christians we seem to spend most of our time in the new testament. What struck me about this verse is how it echoes many of the things I've read in the new testament.

This verse talks about not forsaking your friends, no matter what. When they can't ask God for help, you do it for them. When they can't believe, you still believe in them. Jesus said we must also love our enemies, not just those who love us. But we still should be loving our friends.

One of the side-effects for me of reading this verse is I started writing down my prayers. When they ask for other petitions in church, I have a list of names I go through in my head. I generally know what I'm praying for, and so does God. But I realized that I had so much more to say, even for those people. So I started writing them down in my datebook, which has all this space for notes I haven't been using. I carry it with me always, and when I'm praying I can pull it out and read it to remind me of people I want to pray for, and it reminds me what I'm praying about sometimes too. :)

Really though, this verse reminds me of the people who asked me what was wrong and listened and offered me support. I also want to thank everyone who reads these and let's me know that they appreciate it. I started these for two people, myself being one of them. I realize though that encouragement to continue is helpful after a while though. :) So to everyone who supports me, thank you.

http://kairosverse.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment