Monday, August 10, 2009

Cell Phones Treasures


19"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Matthew 6:19-21 (NIV)


This verse is inspired by my Sunday, which started by my brand new iPhone no longer working. I lost my ability to call people, to connect with them, and to arrange meetings for the Watermelon Festival today. Luckily everyone I was with had a phone and had most of the numbers I needed. But not all of them. I found out how much I rely on my cell phone.

Further I found how much of a distraction my phone was. When it was broken I was sitting in church trying to listen to the sermon and I was running scenarios in my mind about what would happen when I brought my phone into the Apple store for repair. Then I started thinking about what today's verse was going to be.

So my conclusion is not to throw away your technology. But when it fails you, realize your life isn't over and don't obsess over it. I still had people to hang out with. It was all God. And when I finally let it go and got to the Apple the store, the guy behind the counter took about 30 seconds to look at my phone and just gave me a new one. Having said that, back up your cell phone. It's a very good thing to do. :)

For me, I found that while I did complain a bit about my cell phone breaking; and fret about not meeting up with all the people I planned to (sorry Sarah, Suzanna and Meggie), I was able to take that step back and enjoy what I did have. Regardless of your situation, God gives us things to be thankful for. So when stuff happens, look for the silver lining and remember your friends' value is in their company, not their contact info in your phone.

http://kairosverse.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment