Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Following Isn't Always Fun


And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well.

Matthew 5:40 (NIV)


I had an experience this past week which made this passage active in my life. Some money was stolen at work that I was responsible for while it was in someone else's care. I took responsibility for it, and I paid the money back. I realized that I had not only given my tunic in the form of my reputation and trustworthiness at work, but I also gave my cloak as well in the form of paying back the money that someone else stole.

What I realized is that Jesus never says, "and be happy about it." I have been really upset about this. Something David Drebes said in his sermon at the vocations conference last week was, "It's not always fun to follow Jesus." Gathering with other Christians at events and during church is one of the rewards - the fun things - that we get to do as Christians. It's not all easy though. Sometimes it's downright tough.

So today I ask you to pray for me as I work through my own feelings from this experience. I also ask you to pray for whoever took the money; because while we are supposed to pray for our enemies, that doesn't mean we can't ask for help in doing it.

http://kairosverse.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment