Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Sexuality as a Stumbling Block


9Be careful, however, that the exercise of your freedom does not become a stumbling block to the weak. 10For if anyone with a weak conscience sees you who have this knowledge eating in an idol's temple, won't he be emboldened to eat what has been sacrificed to idols? 11So this weak brother, for whom Christ died, is destroyed by your knowledge. 12When you sin against your brothers in this way and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ. 13Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause him to fall.

1 Corinthians 8:9-13 (NIV)


The ELCA's social statement has created a lot of consternation over the last week. I have talked to people who are re-thinking their calls. I have talked to people who are considering leaving the church. One of the thoughts in my head lately has been, "Didn't anyone think about the impact this would have?" Maybe the disruption this is causing is inevitable. I can't help but think of the above passage though.

This issue is a HUGE stumbling block for many people. Does the social statement really make things better? When people start thinking about leaving the church over an issue that has no clear resolution after 8 years of discussion, are we making the right choice?

I pray that we will keep all our brothers and sisters in prayer as we continue to discuss this issue.

http://kairosverse.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment