Saturday, August 15, 2009

Fear and Crying


For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father."

Romans 8:15


Last night a friend scared the stuffing out of me. She showed me a movie case in the movie store. It was a movie that I'd seen as a kid, and it scared me so much then that I avoid horror movies. It scared me so much last night that I shut my eyes and screamed like a little girl. It was all I could think about. I was so afraid I couldn't think of anything else. It was completely irrational. It took an hour for my heart to slow down. She thought it was hilarious. I did not.

As I thought back over the experience this morning, I realized that what upset me the most in the aftermath was that I was so afraid I couldn't reason with myself. I was jumping at shadows. I knew there was nothing to be afraid of. It wasn't real, and as the above verse says, we do not have a spirit of fear.

I'm not sure I have a point today, just a story. What do you do when you're afraid?

http://kairosverse.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment