Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Praising An Awesome God


1 I will exalt you, my God the King;
I will praise your name for ever and ever.

2 Every day I will praise you
and extol your name for ever and ever.

3 Great is the LORD and most worthy of praise;
his greatness no one can fathom.

4 One generation will commend your works to another;
they will tell of your mighty acts.

5 They will speak of the glorious splendor of your majesty,
and I will meditate on your wonderful works.

6 They will tell of the power of your awesome works,
and I will proclaim your great deeds.

7 They will celebrate your abundant goodness
and joyfully sing of your righteousness.

8 The LORD is gracious and compassionate,
slow to anger and rich in love.

Psalm 145:1-8 (NIV)

My iPod played "Awesome God" twice in a row and I took it as a sign. Today was a rather rough day for me. Nothing spectacular, but lots of little things that added up to something less than wonderful. Despite this there were good things in my day. I spent most of it in the company of Patrick Powell - one of my youth who is all grown up and working with me. We did lunch and dinner and his enthusiasm for life was a very nice thing to have today. The picture I chose today is a sunset captured by Alyssa that displays God's power and beauty. As I looked at the photo I could almost see the clouds moving. How majestic!

Sometimes despite the things going on, God sends us what we need to continue on. When Jesus gave us the Lord's prayer, he gave us more than just words to say. He gave us a pattern to follow. It satrts with praise, "Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name." The psalm today is the start of a prayer. It is the start of mine today, and I encourage you to make it yours. Start your prayers with praise and then ask God for the things you need.

http://kairosverse.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment